Thursday, October 20, 2011

Blessed Be Beauty In A Bottle

Two years ago, in a moment of bravado, I revealed my real age to Dr. Mehmet Oz on national TV. I was exceedingly happy with his genuine look of surprise upon learning my harsh demographic truth. He attributed some of my good fortune to good genes. My Mom and Dad both had great skin and were on the thin side… thank Goddess! 

Since Dr. Oz last saw me, I’ve gained and lost the same five to ten pounds several times, my face has more wrinkles, and I’m drier everywhere there’s skin. I fondly remember a smoother, moister time –the pinnacle of estrogen.  Am I uptight by the turn of events?  Hell Yeah… what Everyday Goddess wouldn’t be?

I’ve recently started considering my options for minimal facial restoration. There’s beauty in a bottle, beauty in a syringe, and beauty under-the-knife.  Given the fact, I’m afraid of needles and scalpels, the alternatives are limited to state-of-the-art cosmetic remedies all which promise dramatic results.  But do they?

The tray on my night table currently contains: In An Instant products by Heidi Klum (Intensive Firming Serum, Intensive Eye Treatment, Instant Wrinkle Smoother & Instant Warming Scrub), wrinkle Revenge (antioxidant enhanced glycolic acid facial cleanser), Olay Regenerist (micro-sculpting serum, DNA superstructure UV cream with SPF 30), Dr. Robert Rey’s Inhibitox (Instant Wrinkle Erase with Active Exotics), Anew Retexturizing Peel,  Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair, and ROC (Deep Wrinkle Night Cream). So do they work?

The short answer is: Maybe. Without the daily and nightly treatments (not strictly adhered to) I might look drier and wrinklier.  Given my trepidations regarding physician assisted beauty, I’ll continue my quest for the Holy Grail of anti-aging beauty products.  In the meantime, I’ll do the best with what I have – genetically and cosmetically. Sooner or later, I’ll reluctantly redefine Boomer Beauty because in my heart of hearts, I know that something-something will never again look like thirty- something… and it’s not supposed to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment