Friday, September 4, 2009

Guru Encounters Of The Close Kind



Can a prospective devotee embrace a guru (spiritual teacher and guide) who he or she has never met? Moreover, is it feasible to learn from a teacher who’s left their earthly body?

Baba Neem Karoli was a great Indian saint of the Himalayan lineage who left his body in 1973.” Also known as Maharaj-ji by his devotees, this guru is known for a simple but universal teaching, “love everyone, serve everyone, remember God, and tell the truth.” Information and photos are abundantly available at http://nkbashram.org./
My introduction to Neem Karoli Baba was the by-product of my interest in the music of Krishna Das (see earlier blog entry Musical Gift #3 For You: Krishna Das). To make a long story short, KD’s path which includes introducing others to chanting as a spiritual practice is in service to his beloved guru. The more I’ve been exposed to Maharaj-ji, the more I am touched by the simplicity of his message. I know that his essence inspires and comforts me. But how can that be?
At my last KD event, I purchased a little book, Flow of Grace. There’s a passage atop page 49 quoted from the Yoga of the Bhagavad Gita (one of the most important Hindu scriptures) which has helped me understand my unusual heart stirring reaction to the photos and words of Maharaj-ji.
If the Earth can be illumined even today by stars which disintegrated long ago, it is not impossible that the hearts of its inhabitants may be illumined, sanctified, entranced and beautified by Grace which emanates from a spiritual being, vitalized long ago in the chronology of time. Like a charged battery, that spiritual entity can reveal itself, wherever there is available a receiving set attuned to it.
It is in service to Baba Neem Karoli that I write with an open, loving heart in the hope that my words make a difference, even a small one, to readers. If I can induce laughter, help repair a broken relationship, or inspire individuals to appreciate their unique soul-path, I am joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment