Monday, May 25, 2009

Ya-Yas And Yogis

I LOVE stories about friendship. Some of my favorite books and movies include Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and Sex and the City.  I’ve valued friends as far back as I can remember; maybe because I was an only child, or maybe because I was just lucky enough to always have great friends.

The primary Ya-Yas (Marilyn, Lois, and Barbara) date back to my elementary and junior high school days.  Then there’s the secondary Ya-Yas (the other Gail, Natalie, and miscellaneous others from that era)  who join us for occasional events.  Some of my fondest memories are of experiences shared with the girls.  My Sweet 16 party at Tom’s Restaurant  in the Bronx, learning how to use a tampon at Lois’ house with (similarly inexperienced) advisors seated outside the door, and chatting over a Sara Lee Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake are just a few of the memories that still make me smile from the inside out.  

The Yogis (Debra, Maryanne, and others from our yoga circle) are the friends from now with whom I share yoga (of course), meditation, chanting, excursions to natural environments, shamanic journeys, and assorted metaphysical dabbles.  We welcome new adventures and celebrate our group-goddessness with divine inspiration and uplifting humor.

There are special others, neither Ya-Yas nor Yogis, who are worthy of mention including my cousin Wendy, Beth & Judi from college, Lisa Marie, and my unique friend Jan.  

My women friends continually inspire me to be my best self.


No comments:

Post a Comment