Sunday, November 20, 2011

I Am Happy I Am Not A Pilgrim Child

I am happy I am not a Pilgrim child,
Pilgrim children had to do a lot of chores.
They fetched water, firewood, berries, and wild plants.
They helped cook, clean, plant, and harvest crops.
They had to bow to the adults.
They had to serve their parents before they ate.
They slept on mattresses stuffed with straw on the floor.
They took a bath a few times a year (Pee Ew!)
Hornbook
I am happy I am not a Pilgrim Child.

My sweet son wrote this original poem in 1999 and mounted it on a Hornbook when he was in Mrs. Hannon's third grade class. It's still hanging in our dining room. Looking at it, especially around Thanksgiving, reminds me to be thankful for my family, friends, and hometown where my children received a loving public education.  

From me and mine to you and yours ~ May your Thanksgiving season be one of abundance and LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment